Sports injuries can result from accidents, over-training, or insufficient stretching or warm-up before or after exercise. The most common sports injuries are ligament sprains, muscle strains, and the “-itis” injuries (tendonitis, bursitis, and fasciitis). At Springs Chiropractic & Sports Rehab, we treat a variety of common sports injuries by getting to the underlying cause of the dysfunction and correcting it.
To manage injuries and prevent future injuries, we will work to:
- Resolve limiting factors in connective tissue first to allow normal function
- Demonstrate foam rolling and active stretching to loosen tight/guarded muscles, increase flexibility, and reduce soft tissue restriction
- Design an exercise program to strengthen any under performing muscles
- Gradually increase your functional exercise capacity to avoid new injury
- Assist you in performing an appropriate warm-up and cool down before and after sports activity
- Guide you on a healthy diet, which will nourish the muscles, joints, and connective tissues
The most common home treatment recommended for a mild injury is rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE). This method consists of the following:
- Rest: While movement is important to speed healing and allow for full recovery, you should avoid activities that may cause further injury.
- Ice: Ice packs can be applied to the injured area, which will help to diminish swelling and pain. Ice should be applied over a towel to the affected area for 15-20 minutes four times a day for several days. Never place ice directly over the skin.
- Compression: Compression of the injured area helps to reduce swelling. Elastic wraps, air casts, and splints can accomplish this.
- Elevation: Elevate the injured part above heart level to reduce swelling and pain.
If this does not resolve pain and/or dysfunction within a few days, it is always advisable to come in to be evaluated for a more serious injury.
Conditions our sports medicine specialists treat include:
- Arthritis pain
- Shoulder impingement
- Sprains and strains
- Tendonitis and bursitis
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s elbow
- Shin splints
- And more
If you’ve been sidelined due to a muscle, tendon, or ligament injury, Springs Chiropractic & Sports Rehab are to here to help. We can get your pain and inflammation under control and provide quick relief. Call (719) 531-7188 or (719) 527-6747 today to request an appointment with one of our professionals.